Friday, February 20, 2015

Rotarians Everywhere


I think I may now know more Rotarians in Uganda than in the U. S.  Well maybe not quite as many.  Rotarians seem to be everywhere in this country.  Not only Ugandans, but Europeans and North Americans doing all sorts of amazing work.

Late on Thursday night I was in our hotel lobby trying to access the Internet when I heard an American accent.  A gentleman was checking in.  I introduced myself, and he immediately said, "Ah, you're a Rotarian."  I was wearing a Rotary-logoed shirt.

Mr. Maxim Schrogin is a member of the Rotary Club of Berkeley, California.  He will be club president in 2016-17.  Touring around Africa, he is headed for Kilimanjaro to do some climbing.  It turns out that he is interested in doing work in Uganda and wanted to learn more about applying for Global Grants and organizing Volunteer Training Teams.  He's particularly interested in finding ways to bring fresh water to remote villages.  We'll be talking.

Max was traveling with Mr. Julius Kasaija, CEO of an organization called Sustainable Action for Rural Sector Uganda.  I plan to talk more with Julius on Friday morning about his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment